On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 10:20:34PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> [...]
> The default digraphs now correspond to RFC1345. Most are different from
> what was used in Vim 5.x. Do we care about this incompatibility?

I only noticed that now, switching my linux distro to suse 10.3, and yes, I
really care.  I am a french-speaking programmer, so I use a qwerty-us keyboard
beacause it is much easier for programming, but I need sometimes to
produce french texts.

Previously, I could use the CTRL-K combinations with ` (backquote or grave)
to introduce grave accents, ^ (circumflex) for circumflex accents and " for
diaeresis, juste like on a typing machine.

RFC1345 recommends :

        ! instead of ` for grave accent
        > instead of ^ for circumflex accent
        : instead of " for diaeresis

Frankly I do not understand why RFC1345 has choosen that.

I know I can add digraphs in .exrc, but it seems to me more logical to add
the french-writing typist combinations directly in the default digraphs of vim.

Of course, I do not ask for removal of the !, > and : sequences, only their
duplications with their `, ^ and " counterparts.

Thanks for reading so far

Philippe De Muyter