Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Philippe de Muyter wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 10:20:34PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> The default digraphs now correspond to RFC1345. Most are different from
>>> what was used in Vim 5.x. Do we care about this incompatibility?
>
> Seems like only yesterday :-).
>
>> I only noticed that now, switching my linux distro to suse 10.3, and yes, I
>> really care.  I am a french-speaking programmer, so I use a qwerty-us
>> keyboard
>> beacause it is much easier for programming, but I need sometimes to
>> produce french texts.
>>
>> Previously, I could use the CTRL-K combinations with ` (backquote or grave)
>> to introduce grave accents, ^ (circumflex) for circumflex accents and " for
>> diaeresis, juste like on a typing machine.
>>
>> RFC1345 recommends :
>>
>>      ! instead of ` for grave accent
>>      > instead of ^ for circumflex accent
>>      : instead of " for diaeresis
>>
>> Frankly I do not understand why RFC1345 has choosen that.
>>
>> I know I can add digraphs in .exrc, but it seems to me more logical to add
>> the french-writing typist combinations directly in the default digraphs of
>> vim.
>>
>> Of course, I do not ask for removal of the !, > and : sequences, only their
>> duplications with their `, ^ and " counterparts.
>
> It seems that we can add these digraphs without breaking the existing
> ones.  Is there anything against adding something like a" for ä, which
> you currently enter with a: ?

Currently, o" and u" are used for the doubly-acute-accented vowels of the
Hungarian language (meaning long ö and long ü, i.e. vowels with both umlaut
[for pitch change] and acute accent [for length]).

Decimal codes 336, 337, 368, 369, or hexadecimal U+0150, U+0151, U+0170 and
U+0171.

Best regards,
Tony.
173. You keep tracking down the email addresses of all your friends
      (even childhood friends).