Philippe De Muyter wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 10:20:34PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> The default digraphs now correspond to RFC1345. Most are different from
>> what was used in Vim 5.x. Do we care about this incompatibility?
>>

> I only noticed that now, switching my linux distro to suse 10.3, and yes, I
> really care.  I am a french-speaking programmer, so I use a qwerty-us keyboard
> beacause it is much easier for programming, but I need sometimes to
> produce french texts.
>
> Previously, I could use the CTRL-K combinations with ` (backquote or grave)
> to introduce grave accents, ^ (circumflex) for circumflex accents and " for
> diaeresis, juste like on a typing machine.
>
> RFC1345 recommends :
>
>       ! instead of ` for grave accent
>       > instead of ^ for circumflex accent
>       : instead of " for diaeresis
>
> Frankly I do not understand why RFC1345 has choosen that.
I think the reason is that RFC 1345 isn't designed for what vim is using
it for. Its goal is to provide an unambiguous short ASCII name for
characters, not to give convenient keyboard combinations for invoking
those characters in an editor. Admittedly these goals are similar, so
using RFC 1345 is at least a good start. However, RFC 1345 is further
constrained by using only a limited set of characters on which there is
a high degree of agreement about the encoding. For example, ` is not one
of the characters used.

If it were up to me, I'd support the RFC 1345 combinations, but add many
more as standard vim mappings. I use digraphs frequently to enter
Unicode characters, and I find the RFC 1345 mappings often uninituitive
or simply absent for characters of interest.

-- Andrew