On 12/02/09 02:07, Gary Johnson wrote:
> On 2009-02-12, Tony Mechelynck<antoine.mechely...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> And then there are people like me who can un- .zip files if they have
>> to, but prefer to gunzip them (un- .gz), which is the Unix standard (as
>> opposed to the Microsoft Megabucks LoseDough standard). And note that if
>> the right tools are present (gunzip in the $PATH), a compressed vimball
>> (*.vba.gz) will (if I'm not mistaken) be handled by Vim just as easily
>> as an ordinary one.
>
> Yes, it will, except that when you open the gzipped file with
>
>      vim someplugin.vba.gz
>
> the original file is automatically gunzipped and replaced by the
> gunzipped version, e.g., somefile.vba.  I wish the vimball plugin
> wouldn't do that.  If I'm going to keep the archive around for a
> while, I'd rather keep it in its gzipped form.  Besides, I should be
> able to use vim to just look at a file without modifying it.
>
> Regards,
> Gary

That's how gunzip normally works. You can keep the compressed file by doing

        gunzip -c somefile.vba.gz > somefile.vba
or
        gunzip -c somefile.vba.gz | view -

which uncompresses to stdout (hence the redirection) and keeps the *.gz.
(You may have a script or softlink named zcat or gzcat which is
equivalent to gunzip -c).

Best regards,
Tony.
--
"The Right Honorable Gentleman is indebted to his memory for his jests
and to his imagination for his facts."