Gary Johnson wrote:
> On 2009-02-12, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> And then there are people like me who can un- .zip files if they have
>> to, but prefer to gunzip them (un- .gz), which is the Unix standard (as
>> opposed to the Microsoft Megabucks LoseDough standard). And note that if
>> the right tools are present (gunzip in the $PATH), a compressed vimball
>> (*.vba.gz) will (if I'm not mistaken) be handled by Vim just as easily
>> as an ordinary one.
>>

> Yes, it will, except that when you open the gzipped file with
>
>     vim someplugin.vba.gz
>
> the original file is automatically gunzipped and replaced by the
> gunzipped version, e.g., somefile.vba.  I wish the vimball plugin
> wouldn't do that.  If I'm going to keep the archive around for a
> while, I'd rather keep it in its gzipped form.  Besides, I should be
> able to use vim to just look at a file without modifying it.

Hello!

The latest vimball (v30h) is now available from my website
(http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#VIMBALL).

The decompression is now deferred until the file is sourced (ie. one may
now browse the file without decompressing it on
your hard disk).  Sourcing a file still requires that the file be
decompressed first.

Regards,
Chip Campbell