On 12/02/09 21:52, Andy Wokula wrote:
> Charles E. Campbell, Jr. schrieb:
>> Gary Johnson wrote:

>>> Yes, it will, except that when you open the gzipped file with
>>>
>>>      vim someplugin.vba.gz
>>>
>>> the original file is automatically gunzipped and replaced by the
>>> gunzipped version, e.g., somefile.vba.  I wish the vimball plugin
>>> wouldn't do that.  If I'm going to keep the archive around for a
>>> while, I'd rather keep it in its gzipped form.  Besides, I should be
>>> able to use vim to just look at a file without modifying it.
>>>
>> The reason why it does that: one can't source a buffer, and one can't
>> source a compressed file.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Chip Campbell
>
> The question is, why vimballs have to be :sourced at all.  A vimball
> archive file is not a vimscript.  ":so %" is only needed to execute
> ":UseVimball".  So why aren't the user instructions
>     "Execute :UseVimball to extract this file"
> It would make things much easier and all this ugly unpacking trouble
> could be avoided.

A vimball _is_ a Vim script -- starting with one comment (which
identifies it as a vimball), and then

        UseVimball
        finish

You can _also_ extract it with :UseVimball (possibly with the optional
pathname argument), as is said under ":help :UseVimball", but the
vimball must be the current file open in Vim when you do that (the
UseVimball command has no argument to tell it which vimball to unpack,
it implicitly uses the current file).

Personally, I believe that

        :so %

is easier to type (and remember) than

        :UseVimball

OTOH, if you want to use

        :UseVimball $VIM/vimfiles

(which is even longer) you have to type it by hand.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Fertility is hereditary.  If your parents didn't have any children,
neither will you.