Hi Thomas and Ben,

Excerpt from Ben Fritz:

> On Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:14:00 AM UTC-5, Thomas Köhler wrote:
>>
>> OK, now things are clearer for me. That's basically a good idea,
>> but:
>> - URL would also need to change:
>>
>> http://gott-gehabt.de/800_wer_wir_sind/thomas/Homepage/Computer/vim/syntax/uil.vim
>>   would need to become something different, for example
>>   http://www.vim.org/runtimefiles/syntax/uil.vim
>> - all the vim runtime file maintainers would need to have
>>   read/write access below http://www.vim.org/runtimefiles/ (or
>>   whereever that is)
>>
>> The reason is that if another maintainer changes a file, the file
>> also should be changed at the URL given in the file.
>>

> Yes, agreed.

*grin* we are already discussion implementation details. Seems like everyone
agrees this is a good way forward.

Well in my experience each active vim maintainer is rather knowledgeable *and*
friendly. I am sure if one tells an other: "Hey we need to change that url,
too". That asked person will do what he is asked for.
Same with a missing keyword, a suboptimal regex or what ever.
If we communicate we each other we will find a solution or an other. But the
situation that led to this thread was simply no communication, not even
technically possible.
As i said earlier there will be problems. Discuss them on list, think about
them, fix them.

>> Of course there could be a git repository with all runtime files
>> included,
>
> Or, how about just a clone of the main Vim repository? Often runtime file
> changes are related to changes in the Vim code. If we get going well enough
> we might even convince Bram to pull runtime file changes directly.
>
> I think the "official" repository should be a Mercurial clone, because that's
> what Vim's official repository is, but there are extensions to both Hg and
> git which allow them to work on the other's repository or convert one to the
> other losslessly. So there could be secondary clones all over in git or Hg if
> desired.
>
>> and all maintainers just send patches to a group of git
>> maintainers, and the URL would point to where the central git
>> repository would show the file, which would put down the number
>> of people that need read/write access from a few hundred to just
>> a few. What do you think?
>>

> I think I'd rather see it done with push/pull. If not everyone has push
> access (I don't see why that shouldn't be the goal) each maintainer could
> easily make their own clone and tell the main repo's maintainer(s) "please
> pull revXXXXXX from my repository at YYYY".
>
> Periodically Bram could either pull from the runtime repository, or export
> the latest as a patch against the last merged version from the official
> repository.

I thought about a repo, too. If we will have one i also prefer that it has an
interface to mercurial (probably even must have). No matter what that $VCS (or
%VCS% as some use here) will be.
Hopefully a nice fall-out would be that Bram can spend more time on Vim directly
rather then on runtimefiles. Lets see how that works out.

--
Regards,
Thilo

4096R/0xC70B1A8F
721B 1BA0 095C 1ABA 3FC6  7C18 89A4 A2A0 C70B 1A8F