On Di, 13 Mär 2018, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> An alternative would be to support a custom escape sequence enclosing an
> arbitrary Vim command.  This is tricky, since it can be abused to have
> Vim execute any command when catting a file to the terminal.
> We could restrict it to opening a file, a bit like the :drop command.
> That would solve perhaps 90% of the desired functionality.

A simple example has been posted here:

I am not sure how well this would work in general and it looks like it
does not handle spaces in filenames and does not take a different pwd
into account. Also, I can imagine that using a well crafted filename¹
this might make vim execute arbitrary code...

¹) something like "foobar |:!echo 'foobar'"

Der einzige, der einen Ozelotpelz wirklich braucht, ist der Ozelot.
                -- Bernhard Grzimek