Justin M. Keyes wrote:

> > I'm thinking of creating the 8.1 release.  The main new feature is the
> > terminal window, with the debugger plugin.  And lots of smaller
> > additions and plenty of bug fixes.
> >
> > Is there is something important that should still be included?
> > Or something in the terminal window that should be changed before
> > putting it in an official release?
> This would be a good time to mention Neovim in `:help credits`, Bram.
> Vim now approximates at least two major Neovim features, one of which
> motivated an awkward retraction[2] to `:help design-not`.  In other
> words, Neovim drove Vim to change its reconsider its own
> hitherto-inviolable design constraints.
> The only major features added to Vim in the last 4 years were
> reactions to Neovim.
> Neovim has also been the direct and indirect source of many (some
> uncredited/copy-pasted) patches, fixes, and bug reports.
> How about recognizing this in the credits?

I have to admit I haven't been updating the list of credits.  It's
getting too long, but I don't feel it is right to remove people.
And it's hard to decide who to add or not add.  The list of patches
gives a better indication about who contributed.

Why mention Neovim?  I don't think I have included any code.  The way
Neovim diverted makes that very difficult anyway.  The few times when I
wonder how Neovim does something, I quickly find something I don't like.
If I can find it at all, since the documentation is rather sparse.
E.g., I was wondering what Neovim does when trying to exit while a
terminal window is open. Can't find it...

That Vim and Neovim have some functionality added in recent years that
is similar has more to do with what users ask for than anything else.
And yes, when users see something in Neovim, questions come up wether to
add this to Vim in some way.  But does that deserve credit?

Why I finally added the terminal window, even though I have been against
that for a long time, has certainly nothing to do with Neovim.  I
mentioned the reasons quite a while ago (July 2nd 2017).  Perhaps also a
bit selfish, since I wanted to be able to debug Vim over an ssh
connection and could not find any other way.

Imagine a world without hypothetical situations.