On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 1:56 PM, Bram Moolenaar <b...@moolenaar.net> wrote:

> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 3:17 AM, James McCoy <james...@jamessan.com> wrote:
>> > On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 11:21:55PM +0100, Christian Brabandt wrote:
>> [...]
>> >
>> > You just got the builds mixed up. :)
>> >
>> > 12264088 (+vartabs) is larger than 12234272 (-vartabs).  The more
>> > interesting figures (if size is really a factor) would be after
>> > stripping both binaries, since that's what most people are likely to
>> > encounter.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > --
>> > James
>>
>> Ah, of course.
>>
>> Before stripping, the percentage difference is only (12264088 -
>> 12234272) * 100 / 12234272.0 which is less than 0.25%. If the
>> percentage difference after stripping is similar I would never call it
>> code bloat.
>
> I don't think code size matters much for a feature like this.
> But if you want to compare sizes, you need to use a build where size is
> relevant.  A huge build with GUI is where users don't care about size.
> The GUI adds so much that the Vim code part is smaller.
>
> When I make changes like dropping the #ifdef FEAT_AUTOCMD best compare
> with a small build, no GUI and stripped binary.  That's where the size
> difference actually matters.

Well, Tiny or Small builds would be built without that vartabs
feature, wouldn't they? I'd expect Big and Huge builds to have it
while for Normal builds I'm sitting on the fence. So for "a small
build, no GUI and stripped binary" I would expect the difference in
code size to be exactly zero.

Best regards,
Tony.