> On Di, 13 Mär 2018, Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov wrote:
>
>> Conveniently viewing tab-separated file is one thing, assembling is
>> entirely another. Who could you share such file except person using
>> (Neo)Vim with your patch? Spaces are safer and it is not impossible to
>> write a plugin which makes using them easier (also for viewing if you
>
> That is not completely true. The vartabs feature makes it possible to
> view the file in a spread sheet like manner, without changing the file.
> So applications consuming those files will easily function as before.
> Changing the file to use spaces will break those.
>
> Not sure what you mean with exchanging those files. The whole point is
> to have a comfortable way to view those files, without influencing how
> other applications handle those files. People who do not have a variable
> tabstop feature in their editor will simply see those files as before.
> But the same is true for e.g. the breakindent feature.

My point is that while you can sure view those files in a nice manner
*yourself*, but it would not do any good for those who you share files
with unless they have vartabs themselves. So if files need to be
assembled it is better to use spaces unless it is some kind of file
used by both humans and applications, with latter requiring tabs. And
for spaces there already are a number of plugins.