> On 12/03/18 22:06, Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov wrote:

>>> But editing tabular information is something that a great many people do.
>>> It's not just a matter of working with tab-separated data files. How
>>> often
>>> do you want to assemble columns of information in a text file where the
>>> columns are inconvenient sizes? You wrote Vim so I'm sure you use it for
>>> all
>>> sorts of things, and I bet there are times when you've found that spaces
>>> are
>>> annoying for getting the columns aligned while tabs between every column
>>> waste space and mean you run out of screen. That happens to me a couple
>>> of
>>> times a week, and I doubt my requirements are anything exceptional.
>>> That's
>>> the sort of common real-world situation this change addresses, and right
>>> now
>>> it's something that can't be done in Vim at all. If I want columns of
>>> text
>>> in a reasonable amount of space I need to use a spreadsheet, and then I
>>> have
>>> to keep going through removing all the spurious ks and js and ZZs that
>>> appear all over the place when I forget which environment I'm in.
>>

>> Conveniently viewing tab-separated file is one thing, assembling is
>> entirely another. Who could you share such file except person using
>> (Neo)Vim with your patch?
>

> What's wrong with personal use? I frequently use Vim for taking notes about
> things or for setting out scraps of information in a form that's easy to
> read. I almost never need to share files, but I still need a way to set out
> information so I can use it most easily. This is a feature I would use
> nearly every day.
>
> Anyway, everyone who objects to the patch is missing the point. This is a
> feature for which all the design work, all of the coding and most of the
> testing has already been done. All that's needed is to include it. Nobody
> will be harmed by this, so why is there such vehement opposition to it?
>
> How many people will use it is irrelevant. The point I'm trying to make here
> is that all the opposition has been based around objections that have never
> been used to object to other features. Where was the worry about bloat or
> destabilisation when a terminal was being added to Vim? Who raised concern
> that not enough people need it when it came to a new regex engine? Why is
> this patch in particular so contentious?

I am not opposing to the patch itself, but I am opposing your
statements about other new features being less important. If all you
did was *just* saying that patch is there and well tested you would
not hear anything from me on the issue. Or at least saying that other
features destabilize and bloat executable, without throwing around
statements like people not expecting IPC from the editor. It is hard
to argue against new features being rather buggy in the beginning,
especially with Bram’s strange development workflow not having
unstable feature branches or even checking commit in CI before it is
pushed to master. It is not hard to argue that actually added new
features are useful and expected by the users.

It is no wonder that if you go to vim_*dev* and *attack* features
needed by *developers* you will get opposition, no matter what are
your other points.