To Teemu Likonen, Christian Brabandt, Ben Fritz, Tim Johnson,

To Teemu Likonen: you said vim is much more popular than emacs, I
believe that the version of vim which is very, very popular is the
minimal version, because some Linux distributions have used minimal vim
as there standard vi. For the huge version, I cannot tell which editor
is more popular.

To Christian Brabandt: I also don't care about emacs, what I mean is to
put such a package is a good way to make newbies more easily to use.
Many people think the vim they downloaded is *all* about vim, in fact
vim has a large amount of great extensions. The package I mentioned is
just similar to the debian package vim-script, but provided by vim. You
know that not all OS distributions have such a package, or even a
package manager.  Which plugin to put into the package? Maybe the 20
most downloaded or some other criterion, or maybe a vote?

To Ben Fritz: There is a very possible reason that people don't want to
install plugins: they have to look for plugins because there are so many
plugins which only implement part of the functions they want. So one
huge plugin is helpful. In fact, vim has included some plugins such as
matchit, GetScript, etc. So it's not a problem to make another
non-standard package.

To Teemu Likonen: The reasons quiting using vim, which is mentioned by
you, is definitely right for most people who quit using vim and DON'T
use emacs. These people don't use both vim or emacs. For people who
decide to use vim or emacs, they have to preview both of them. Emacs has
bundled many plugins, so emacs can integrate with gdb, edit tex file
efficiently and some other things without installing any extra plugins.
But vim users have to install corresponding plugins. As a result, the
preview of vim is not as powerful as emacs. So some of them finally
choose emacs.

Regards,
Hong Xu
04/08/2010