NQ,

Have you seriously checked the price of diesel lately???
My calculations show that it is 12% above the cost of unleaded.
(here in arkansas)

If I drive a prius and get 50 mpg on unleaded
then I need to drive a diesel that gets 56 mpg to match the
premium price.  Not gonna happen in this world.  A guy
that works for me has a brand new Jetta diesel and gets
only 44mpg on the hiway and still pays $3.76 at the pump
while I pay $3.35(as of today).

CNG and propane...yes...

If you check, you will find a conversion for a bus that was done back
in the 60's I think....still looked good to me as it required minimal
changes.  BTW, did you know that Honda sells a CNG car right now?

27-38mpg
http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-natural-gas/?ef_id=1rBPKV0LEW0AAIpv:20120223141429:s

Looked it up for you:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Green-Transportation/1972-05-01/Propane-Conversion.aspx

Cheers, dave

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."-James Dean