The lube of choice for speedo cables is actually molybdenum powder. But
it's hard to get it where it needs to go.  At your local farm and home
store or a real hardware store, they should carry spray cans of
something called 'chain lube' or 'roller chain lube' in the lubricant
section.  This stuff is molybdenum disulphide powder in a volatile
carrier that lets it get into the crevices or down the cable or into the
speedo.  It's messy, though, if you splatter it all around- black and
nasty looking.

glenh :<)>
On 11/8/2012 18:19, No Quarter wrote:
> More than likely it's a lack of lubricant or old grease getting hard which
> is essentially the same thing.  If you could open it up and get access back
> there to put some fresh grease on it and maybe spray some aerosol silicone
> lightly on all the components, I think you'd be a happy camper.
>
> NQ

*** VintagVW Moving -- starting Tuesday Evening, Nov 13th VintagVW will have a
new address  vinta...@googlegroups.com ***

See the full message for details at
http://www.mail-archive.com/vintagvw@lists.sjsu.edu

vintagvw site list