Dean,

I am still a little confused...bear with me.

From your description it sounds like the valve must still be
"retained"...if it wasn't, the large round part that the retainers hold down against the presure of the spring and the spring would be laying on the bottom of the valve cover or pushing hard against the rocker arm.

If you remove the rocker arm, does everthing on that valve fall off?

If so, then the retainers(or parts of it) have truely failed.

I suspect that what has happened is the valve was held in a partialy down position for all of those years and a few gentle taps migh cause the valve guide to "let go" of the valve and let the spring pop it back to something close to "normal"....some liberal spraying of pb blaster or so into where the valve stem and the valve guide are might help.

Just my 2 cents worth...especially if the engine was running well to start with.

Cheers, dave