Try Mapquest4Mobile.

-----Original Message-----
From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Eric Oyen
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2012 8:43 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: gps for pedestrians, again, probably

there has been an interface change since the last 2 updates on Navigon. the
map tab now has a main menu and doesn't display a usable map. I have had
this confirmed visually. there could be an invisible frame that neither I or
my room mates can access. prior to 2 updates ago, I could get a displayable
map that I could finger around and have nearby streets read to me. I cannot
seem to do that now.

I am going to try some other GPS apps but I am not holding out hope that I
will have any success.

as an aside, Sendero needs to release their full gps app. the lookaround
version is limited in such a fashion that it makes getting around difficult
(listing local points of interest and direction plus distance). I need
something that can give me turn-by-turn, read local streets around me,
current location, etc. so far, I have to use 5 different apps to get the
functionality that would be very nice in one single app.

-eric

On Apr 22, 2012, at 1:59 AM, Krister Ekstrom wrote:

> Hi,
> But have i misunderstood anything here? As i understood it, Myway only
saves favorites or pois that you do yourself and then guides you to them,
much as Ariadne does or am i incorrect there? I got the feeling they were
both quite similar? Aren't you referring to IWay which was a gps solution
discussed a little while back that people said was no good?
> And if not, what is the point with MyWay when we have Navigon that works
just as well?
> /Krister
>
> 21 apr 2012 kl. 14:47 skrev Anne Robertson:
>
>> Hello Krister,
>>
>> MyWay Classic will be good for saving routes that you'll do regularly,
whereas Ariadne will be good for telling you the names of streets as you
walk along them.

>> I haven't tried to use them together, but if MyWay Classic will run in
the background, you could have Ariadne keeping you informed as to where you
are, while MyWay gives you directions.

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Anne
>>

>> On 21 Apr 2012, at 12:49, Krister Ekstrom wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> On this subject: I am about to move to a new town in June and am
thinking of using the gps function of the IPhone to learn my way around this
new town. How does MyWay classic or lite compare to Ariadne? As i understand
it they both do just about the same things, but which one is better for what
situation?
>>> I want to make favorites, or whatever it's called fast and easy and then
be able to follow my route back.
>>> /Krister

wait for a few seconds for it to obtain a gps fix. Near the bottom of the
screen it will tell you if the map server is responding or something similar
to that affect. Around the center of the screen, maybe a tad bit lower, is
the current street information. If you tap that, it will tell you the name
of the street, the zip code, and the county if available. If you swipe
around, you will find the start monitoring button. Tap that and Voice Over
will automatically announce when you change directions and also the street
numbers where you are in. It will also announce when the street changes. It
is a very nice app for sure.