A clarification: actually, you can double tap and hold anywhere on the screen
to get the "edit app switcher" mode. Then I hold one finger down anywhere on
the screen and tap each icon as it appears. This is the two finger double tap
that I find easier to use.

The initial  one finger double tap and hold is the gesture I find most
difficult. It takes practice and patience.

Tom Frank