I thinkthere are two more things to try.
First, is the orientation locked? If not, try locking orientation.
The other thing is try going into Email and start a message, using mbraille as
the third party keyboard, turn direct input off, then without doing anything
else, hit your home button andmessages and either compose a new one or better,
reply to one.
My guess is you will find that mBraille is the active keyboard and when you
start writing you will hear what you type, depending on ymbraille speech
settings anuway.
Direct input seems to behave differently in messages.
HTH,
Richard