Ron,

It is hard to say if you would find it sounds as good. Playbars in my opinion
do sound differently than a set of good speakers connected to a good amplifier
and sitting 8 feet apart. Having a Sonos Playbar with Sub and rear surrounds
does sound great, just a Playbar by itself definitely won’t give you as good of
a soundstage and probably not as good as a base. For me having less clutter and
less cables still with very good sound for about $2,000 Canadian was worth it
since I also have my 20-year old, but still very high-end system with Sonic
Frontiers tube amp and digital-analogue converter, custom-built speakers and
subwovers in a separate room in the basement so if I really want to listen to
pure music I go there. But even there the source of the music is a $400 Sonos
Connect and no longer the $2,500 Sonic Frontiers CD Transport. I think
especially in a smaller apartment a Sonos Playbar/Sub/Play 1 surround setup
would sound more than good, but the only one who can decide this is yourself.

As for hooking up a CD player to the Playbar that is not directly possible or
maybe I should say it is possible if your CD player has an optical output and
you don’t mind unplugging the TV and plugging in the CD Player. The Playbar has
a single optical input and is designed to be hooked up to a TV and of course
most TV’s have multiple HDMI, optical and analogue inputs, but that also means
your TV would have to be on if your CD player was connected via the TV.

Having said that, I haven’t use a CD player in 6 or 7 years since once I got my
Sonos system I ripped all my CD’s to a network attached hard drive in lossless
FLAC format. The whole point of Sonos is that you access your music digitally
from your computer’s library or of course you access all the online content
from Tune In, iHeart (free) or tons of other paid services like Spotify,
Deezer, Tidal, Apple Music, Google Music and many more. As far as I am
concerned the days of hooking up all these sources like CD Player, a turn
table, maybe some sort of digital music player and so on are past. I probably
haven’t bought a CD in years because nowadays if I really want to buy music I
buy it on iTunes but lately I’m rarely even doing that because I have an Apple
Music subscription so I can access anything iTunes has anytime I want.

The Playbar is approx. 37 inches long, maybe 8 inches tall and 3 inches thick.
As Les pointed out, it has 9 speakers with a couple firing off to the sides,
others are firing up and so on. You can read the exact configuration with
respect to how many are tweeters, how many are mid-range drivers etc. on the
Sonos website. The Playbar can sit flat or it can be mounted under the TV so
the approx. 8 inches are the height, the 37 inches always is of course the left
to right and the 3 inches is how thick it is front to back if it is mounted
under the TV.