I have a 2017 referbished iPAD as well as an iPHONE7. Frankly, things are a
lot more frustrating for me on the iPAD. I find myself strongly gravitating
to my iPHONE for pretty much everything other than consuming audio or binge
reading. For instance, it's nice to be able to listen to internet radio
without burning though my iPOD batteries and taking up my iPHONE. That
leaves the iPHONE free for other things. However, if I'm working, or want
to be ready to do other things while listening or reding, I'll use my
iPHONE. Other than easier use of Braille screen input, I can't think of any
advantages to using an iPAD other than the headphone jak.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the layouts of a whole lot of apps
and things are very different as the designers attempt to use the extra
space in the best way for sighted users. It can feel like starting from
square one despite using the exact same apps and operating system as on
your phone. I'm still glad I was able to get the iPAD due to the guide I'm
in the process of writing. I'll be able to pint all this out and give
exaples so my readers will hopefully make a more informed decision. I have
a lot of spacial perceptin issues so that's doubtless a big part of why I
so strongly prefer my iPHONE's smaller size. The smaller size does force
app designers to separate apps into different tabs. The Settings app where
you configure your iOS device is a prime example. The iPAd layout has
everything in a tree format with branches expanding overtop of things when
selected. Everything else still remains on the screen. On the iPHONE, the
instant you double-tap on a setting area, everything else goes away and you
can get right to what you want. When finished, the "back" button gets you
out of where you've drilled down into.

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 1:24 PM Cristóbal <crismuno...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The sighted wife has pretty much adopted her 2017 model iPad Pro as a
> third arm, but she’s a huge consumer of visual media and uses it for
> businesses purposes as well. The phone thing to her isn’t as important as
> if she wants to “look” at something, she’ll prefer to do it on the larger
> screen iPad and not her small SE. The phone she more or less just uses it
> as an actual phone. Maybe when she’s out and about to scan stuff like
> ShopKick or other rewards type of apps, but for that, she doesn’t need a
> huge screen or the latest camera phone.
>
> Whereas I on the other hand would be lost without my iPhone and am most
> likely going to upgrade to either whatever Apple’s got coming out this
> year. Be it the new SE if it actually comes out, the new iPhones that
> usually appear in September or maybe pick up one of last year’s models if
> I’m not convinced by what’s coming out this year and the price tag.
>
> In my case, I’d prefer to allocate my money on a better phone and not
> bother with a tablet that I’m probably not going to use. Whereas my wife is
> perfectly happy with her SE and has no desire to upgrade her iPhone any
> time soon since she’d prefer to have an iPad.
>
> I do have a second iPhone for business purposes that I will sometimes use
> to stream music or baseball while working out or if I’m on the treadmill or
> as an extra timer or whatnot, but it’s an old beat up 5S  and it gets the
> job done.
>
> The few times I’ve borrowed her iPad, I’ve been reminded why I don’t want
> one. It is so easy to get lost on the screen trying to find something and
> typing while you think would be easier since the keyboard is larger, it
> just makes it that much harder to find the key you want to press. That and
> forget about using it one handed or somewhere where you’re not stationary
> or sitting down.

Michael Feir
Twitter: mfeir
Skype: michael-feir
Check out my blog at:
http://www.michaelfeir.blogspot.ca

Currently writing Personal Power: The iOS Edition
Regular presenter on Kelly And Company
Learn about iOS, audio dramas, podcasts and accessible games
Thursdays at 2:10 PM Eastern
Www.ami.ca/kellyco

Creator of Journeys of the Mind lectures
2015
http://michaelfeir.blogspot.ca/2015/01/journeys-of-mind-play-is-where.html?m=0

Volunteer at New Horizons Peel Multicultural Centre
www.peelmc.ca
2014

Disability advocate
Meadowvale Community Christian Reformed Church
www.meadowvalecrc.ca
2013--2014

Volunteer at The Dam
http://www.thedam.org
2011-2013
Author of Personal Power:
How Accessible Computers Can Enhance Personal Life For Blind People
2006-2008
http://michaelfeir.blogspot.ca/2009/01/personal-power.html

A Life of Word and Sound
2003-2007
http://michaelfeir.blogspot.ca/2009/01/life-of-word-and-sound.html

Creator and former editor of Audyssey Magazine 1996-2004