Hi Arnold,

I'm running iTunes 12.8.0.16 and also expected the latest version of my apps to
be downloaded from the cloud when I restored my iTunes encrypted backup to my
new iPhone 8. However, this isn't what happened. Even though you're ight that
iTunes no longer lets you backup apps to your local computer, I somehow ended
up with the same versions of my apps on my iPhone 8 that I had running on my
iPhone 7. I'm sure of this because when I went into updates on the Apps Store,
I still had over 70 apps listed there with newer versions. If all of my apps
had been downloaded with their most current versions, nothing should have shown
on the Apps Store update screen except apss that had a new release uploaded
very recently.

I was glad I had my iTunes backup because I initially selected restore from the
cloud backup as it didn't give me any other options except for setting it up as
a brand new phone and I knew I didn't want that. During the cloud restore, I
started getting prompts that the iPhone wanted the password for an Apple ID
that I did not recognize and was not my email address. When this started
happening, I launched iTunes and restored my encrypted backup which ran
overnight and returned everything to what I expected. Well, I had one app that
was no longer available in the Apps Store so that was not restored. So, I'm
confused how and where the apps are obtained when doing a restore from an
encrypted backup. My experience seems to say they come from the cloud but if
the apps are still available, you get whatever version you were running when
you backed up your device.

Alan Lemly