From: viphone@googlegroups.com <viphone@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Sieghard
Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, 7 April 2020 4:12 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: The iPhone Special Edition 2020 or whatever it wil be called from
apple Insider

It absolutely is a faster CPU, but what I am saying that I have had iPhones for
a long time and when Apple praises how fast the new chips are and they give
numbers like "twice as fast" or that apps open "40% faster" that is not really
all that much in real life and what people do with their phones. I know that
every time I upgrade and most recently that was from my 6S to an 8 I was
thinking "Oh, it's nice, but it's not all that much different".
As for being more future proof, yes, of course a phone which is 2 years ahead
will probably get a couple more iOS versions, but again, most phones nowadays
get at least 4 after they are released which means if it stops after that you
can have a phone for 5 years. The 6S, for example, came out in 2015 with the A9
chip and iOS 9. The SE has the same chip but was released half a year later in
April of 2017. Both still have support for iOS 13 so they got iOS 10, 11, 12
and now 13 and I guess we'll find out in June whether they still get iOS 14.
Not too many people I know keep their phone for 5 years so in many cases
upgrading after a year or 2 with the reasoning that you get more iOS updates
isn't a very good reason because chances are you would upgrade after 3 or 4
years anyways.
I'm just making the point that nowadays these phones are mature devices, they
are not new and experiencing major upgrades every year or two where you might
say I really need one now. I still think if somebody has an iPhone 8 it's a
waste of money to upgrade now, better wait a year or two and then get a new
phone with 5G support because the new SE will most certainly not have it so why
not get a new phone say in 2021, by then 5G will be well on its way to becoming
available and if you upgrade now to a new SE chances are you justify another
upgrade a year and a half from now because you want 5G support. In fact, once
5G is widely available it will be the biggest game changer which we have seen
in a long time.