They are definitely two separate settings. I, like Allen always turn any
automatic updates off. I believe you can save yourself some trouble by choosing
what you want to update and what you don’t and when.
Marie

From: Mike B.
Sent: Saturday, May 23, 2020 6:17 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: App Store Not Saying Updates Available

When you turn on Automatic updates in, Settings / General / Software updates,
to update the iOS isn't this different than automatic updates in iTunes & App
store?  From what I understand the iOS will update at night when you're not
using your phone if this is turned on.  But on the other hand, on my old SE I
had automatic updates turned on in, iTunes and App Store, but my apps didn't
update automatically.  I always got the report that I had X amount updates
available when I touched the App Store icon.  Or, is this automatic update
setting in, iTunes & App Store, only for when you're using cellular data?
Thanks much.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
*My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it
cleans the toilet.