Hello,

I am typing this quickly, with limited time, so please excuse any spelling
or gramar mistakes, or any incomplete thoughts. If you have questions,
please get in touch.

I am an Android user primarily, but also have an iOS device, and have used
iOS devices. I am also a tech trainer.

Both platforms are different. Which is better will depend on your needs,
and what you value out of a device. Which is better will also depend on
what you have been used to, and what your primary interaction with your
device is.

   - Android phones differ even from each other in that there are many
   models, many brands, many screen sizes, many battery sizes, many different
   price points, etc. So, if you are looking to get a phone with a specific
   price in mind, as an example, or if you are looking for a phone with a
   curved front and back, or a phone with an infrared sensor to control your
   TV and other appliances, you have choice.
   - The software is also different, with different manufacturers making
   their own modifications to Android to make it look different. This matters
   because some devices will implement accessibility differently. Some will
   offer features that others don't, such as much better spam filtering in the
   dialer, the ability to have the assistant wait on hold for you so you don't
   need to be paying attention to your device and alert you when a
   representative is on the line, etc. Screen reader behavior is different
   across devices, so his can be a positive or a negative, depending on your
   preferences and your needs. Magnification features might also differ.
   - Android has a lot of customization. Do you want widgets in a specific
   spot on your home screen? You can do that. Do you want apps on your home
   screens similar to iOS layout? You can do that. Do you want a minimal home
   screen with one page and nothing on it, with apps sorted alphabetically in
   the app drawer? You can do that. Do you want to dig into the developer
   settings to change which bluetooth codec is used by your headset? You can
   do that, too. Do you want to change your theme? You can do that, and make
   your phone look completely different. Do you want an entirely new launcher,
   a 3rd-party texting app, a different email client to be your default? You
   can do that too.
   - iOS is more customizable for accessibility settings. You have more
   customization for what you can achieve with Voiceover. I don't think most
   users really customize either screen reader very much, but it is possible
   if you are a user who does do this.
   - iOS has superior Braille support. If you are a Braille user, stick
   with iOS.
   - iOS devices are updated longer than even the longest update cycle for
   any Android phone. The extent that this matters depends on how often you
   update your device, but it is something to be aware of.
   - Android devices are not updated as long, with budget devices lucky to
   see one major update, and very slow security and software updates. Updates
   also depend on the carrier for most Android devices, so some carriers may
   provide more timely updates.
   - Android accessibility is not as customizable, and this is certainly
   true for screen readers. The extent that this matters really depends on how
   much customization you do of your screen reader.
   - Android, at this time, lacks features that are found in many screen
   readers, such as the ability to read by column or row in a table, or the
   ability to choose how caller ID is read out.
   - Sometimes, too much customization can lead to confusion for users,
   especially as you first need to do research as to which phone to get, and
   which will provide what you're looking for, and which will provide the best
   accessibility experience.
   - Android lacks usable Braille support.
   - iOS is not as customizable with most things, though this is slowly
   changing, with iOS adopting widgets, a sort of app drawer, and more. But
   there is really only one iPhone *with two-three different sizes*, but the
   functionality is similar, the features are similar, the look is similar,
   etc.
   - iOS makes use of the rotor and multi-finger gestures much more so than
   Androidd. Until recently, iOS did not provide gesture customization, which
   Android has had for a long time. Android, on the other hand, has both
   multi-finger gestures, and the ability to use angle gestures, making for
   easier one-handed use (unless you customize your iOS gestures) but even
   then, angle gestures are not available.
   - iOS settings are too spread out, with some app settings being found in
   the app itself, and others require digging through settings. While you can
   search for a setting, it's still true that Android settings are much more
   streamlined.
   - iOS does not allow for installing 3rd-party TTS engines or screen
   readers. While it is true that Voiceover is good, it is also true that it
   is the only choice you have.
   - iOS makes it more difficult to be cross-platform. For example, if you
   wish to use Android, you can text from the web or from the your phone app
   in Windows. You can text on the web using any platform with a web browser.
   You can connect your device to your computer and transfer files or
   ringtones to it. You can even control your Android phone from your computer
   within Windows. You can receive your notifications on your Windows or
   Chromebook machine. Windows 11 will be allowing access to Android apps, and
   Chromebooks already support Android apps. With iOS, continuity is great
   only if you are also using other Apple products.
   - iOS does not allow for easy access to advanced functionality through
   the computer. As an example, if I wanted to, I could remove apps that are
   preinstalled on my device, enable TalkBack, install apps not from the play
   store, etc. etc. by using tools such as ADB. This may not matter to many,
   but it is still something I value.

I have no doubt that I am missing some things, but the point is, both
platforms are great, and both are painful. To the extent that one is better
than the other will depend on your needs, what you care about and look for,
your budget, etc. I am an Android user because I value flexibility,
customization, device choice, etc. Both platforms are drifting closer
together. Android is improving in accessibility, and iOS is improving in
customization. Isn't that great? We can now, or will be soon, able to
choose a platform based on things we care about, rather than its level of
accessibility.

Hope this helps.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for
Windows, visit nvaccess.org <http://www.nvda-project.org>

Thank you, and have a great day!