I agree with this. The only thing I have really found Apple maps to
have going for it is good VO accessibility and that is definitely
great. However, it is great accessibility to something that for POI
information at least is next to useless. I live a stones throw or on a
good day less than a 12 minute drive from downtown Portland OR, but
Apple Maps finds nearly nothing when I check what POIs are near me at
my apartment. There are tons of coffee shops and eating places of a
nuber of sorts, some grocery stores and all of them have been around a
while. Apple maps finds a school that is nearby. That's it. IT knows
nothing else exists. I have not gone so far as to try it yet, but I
guess if another app that is worth something in finding things feeds
Apple Maps the address then Apple Maps might be useful for navigation.
Google maps, the new on the app store application, not the previously
available one, has a more difficult interface to get around, but will
tell you about just about anything if searching for some POI. I would
find it useful if some day Apple Maps knows about things.