Subject: Re: BlindSquare, A Disappointment
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 01:04:57 +1300
From: David Chittenden <dchitten...@gmail.com>
To: "viphone@googlegroups.com" <viphone@googlegroups.com>

Well, for POI, FourSquare is reliant on its users checking in to places to
identify those places. In the US, many sighted people check in to places with
FourSquare. In NZ, on the other hand, some areas have many places marked whilst
other areas have only a few, or no places marked. Australia is better marked
than NZ, at least for large cities, but smaller towns are not marked very well
at all.

The same is true for the free user-identified street maps. Outside heavy smartphone use areas where people are marking streets, nothing will be identified. Therefore, even though Blind Square accesses worldwide data, the data is not readily available outside the US, Canada, UK, and parts of Western Europe.

Apple Maps and Google Maps actually access better map data. The same is true
for other general market GPS apps which are sold for specific countries.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone