From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Charles Rivard
Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2014 3:55 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Seeing Eye GPS App, Worth It?

It depends on what you consider as being cost efficient.

I think that, by far, it is the absolute best GPS available for a blind
traveler.  It is the easiest to enter data into.

Pros and cons:

I have gotten updates to other GPS apps that broke their accessibility until
another update fixed the issues.  That will not happen with the Seeing Eye
app, because it is specifically designed for blind users.

The app is not self contained.  By that, I mean that maps are not part of
the app.  You must have cellular coverage when traveling, because the maps
are accessed using your data.  That is both a plus and a minus, in that,
while your data is used, you also are assured to be using the latest
available maps, even if they were updated only, say, an hour ago, and
haven't been incorporated into other app updates.  The fact that maps are
not included also is a big space saver, if that is a concern.

You can probably get about the same results by running a combination of 2 or
more GPS apps, for example, Look Around and Navigon or Tom-Tom, but that is
not only more time consuming and cumbersome to set up, but is a bigger
battery drain.  Using the Seeing Eye app is the only app you need to run.

Overall, I'd say that, after using GPS apps for over a year on an iPhone 5,
If you can afford it, I would say that it is well worth the money.

you! really! are! finished!