I think I figured it out finally.

I only can get it to work using

vglrun runwb2

Previously I had LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include
/ansys_inc/v172/Framework/bin/Linux64/Mesa.  I think that was overriding
some of the NVIDIA drivers or something.

Now it runs and doesn't crash and no errors.

Why can't I get glxgears to run without  (vglrun glxgears).  Is it not
compatible with NVIDIA's OpenGL libraries?

Thanks.

Josh