Referring to the VirtualGL User's Guide, Display :0 is what we refer to
as the "3D X server", because it has a GPU attached.  Display :10 in
your case is what we refer to as the "2D X server."  The 2D X server is
also, in your case, an "X proxy":  an X server that renders X11
primitives into images using a virtual framebuffer located in the
system's main memory (Xvfb, for example, is another type of X proxy,
although in that case, there is no remote display server attached to
it.)  You can't see the output of glxgears when it is routed to Display
:0, because that output is going to the monitor attached to the graphics
card (assuming it even has a monitor-- some nVidia GPUs are headless,
and the 3D X server acts solely as a way of accessing the GPU for
off-screen rendering.)

Because X proxies aren't "real" X servers, they can't ever render OpenGL
with hardware acceleration (because doing so requires that the
framebuffer reside in GPU memory, not in main memory.)  Some X proxies
don't support OpenGL at all.  XRDP apparently doesn't.  Upon further
examination, XRDP does work in concert with TigerVNC to support VNC
clients, but it is its own separate solution, and apparently the X proxy
in XRDP doesn't support GLX and OpenGL.  Even if it did, its
implementation of OpenGL still wouldn't be hardware-accelerated.  In
short, don't become overly focused on the fact that you have to use
vglrun to launch glxgears.  That's going to be the case more often than
not when dealing with X proxies, and it's the reason VirtualGL exists.
VirtualGL splits the 3D rendering and sends it to Display :0.
Meanwhile, the 2D rendering goes to Display :10, and whenever the 3D
application swaps its buffer, VirtualGL reads those pixels back from the
GPU and composites them into Display :10.

As Robert indicated, we also do recommend that you use TurboVNC, because
it is designed to provide the performance necessary to run 3D
applications interactively, and it has additional features that are
designed specifically around the needs of such applications.  RDP will
be somewhat slower.  TurboVNC is also a lot easier to install and configure.