Thanks Robert and DRC,

I'm able to get glxgears  to run without vlgrun to run on DISPLAY 0 over
the Remote connection, but then it doesn't show any graphics on my remote
display (which is :10), but I get the text output.  I can also get it to
run using ANSYS's Mesa libraries oddly enough
/ansys_inc/v172/Framework/bin/Linux64/Mesa.

I played around with trying to get the right libraries to load in /lib64
/lib /usr/lib and /usr/lib64, but I still wasn't able to get it to run
without vlgrun.

I am basically following the setup here for XRDP + TigerVNC for Remote
Desktop (with the addition that I also had to add ssl certificates to get
it to work)

http://www.padtinc.com/blog/the-focus/how-to-install-and-configure-xrdp-and-same-session-xrdp-on-centos-6-7-rhel-6-7

That page suggests to add to xorg.conf

   - Section “Module”
   - Load “extmod”
   - Load “due”
   - Load “type1”
   - Load “freetype”
   - Load “clx”
   - EndSection

However, after doing this and rebooting, then vlgrun doesn't work anymore.

Anyway, it is working now it seems.  I can use

VGL_LOGO=1 vglrun glxgears (or glxspheres64 or runwb2) and then I get the
VGL_LOGO to appear, which I think means I am getting hardware acceleration.

Thanks.

Josh