I have just returned from meeting between MFMP and Francesco Piantelli.
Piantelli does not speak English, so a translator was used.  In some cases,
some meaning was lost in translation, and there is at least one funny story
from mis-translation to Piantelli (but that is a topic for another time).
I was not present for the particular exchange that Bob Greenyer reported.
The topic of discussion was excess heat validation of LENR in an
experiment.  Piantelli was describing the various ways that energy can be
stored in an experiment with hydrogen, and included the comment about 1,312
kJ/mole for IONIZED hydrogen.  If you multiply the ionization energy of
about 13.6 eV/atom by 6.02E23 atoms/mole and convert to kJ, you get this
well known number.  He was not suggesting that this is a practical way of
storage, but simply a part of the total energy accounting that must take
place.  In general, he was critical of LENR experiments that run for too
short of a duration to guarantee that the energy was unequivocally not
stored or in latent chemical energy.

He has taken this to heart in his own experiments and MFMP was shown one of
his LENR devices running with a large excess heat (>10W) continuously for
over 2 years (over 600MJ).  The other chemical, thermal, and ionization
storage mechanisms show up as thermal bumps in the measurements, usually at
the beginning or end of an experiment.

If anyone has a "screw loose", it is NOT Piantelli - he is spot on when you
finally grasp what he has said, and knows the physics and thermodynamics
extremely well.  I don't think I have ever met anyone who had such a
detailed grasp of the wide breadth of physical phenomena that are involved
in LENR as Piantelli.  I was honored to be a part of the meetings.

Bob Higgins