It looks like they have backed themselves in a corner with bad science …

From: Axil Axil

Ø  The amount of nickel Ni62 in the fuel load doubled from some unknown
combination of lighter elements.

… more likely, pure isotope was added, since a pure specimen turned up in the
ash.

This fusion process should have released a huge amount of nuclear binding
energy. It is possible that the only thing that lithium did was donate its
neutron to the Nickel 58 to turn it into Nickel 62.