Such fractal growth as seen coming from the metal is seen in other
circumstances of crystal growth on a surface, for example ice crystal
growth on a cold plate in humidity.  I think it is possible that there may
be a connection to the fractal wood burning patterns that Nick suggests.
The black sticky tape used for sample mounting is electrically conductive,
but not nearly as conductive as most metals - it is a more distributed
conductivity (sort of like the wood).  The sticky tape just needs to
prevent charge build-up on the sample from an electron beam current flow of
less than 1 mA.  The metal tracks could be an electrically driven crystal
growth process.  It is not clear if this crystal growth occurred in storage
or due to the electrical discharge in the SEM - but for now, I am presuming
the crystal tracks grew in response to the electrical current flowing from
SEM analysis.

Even with possible electrical stimulation of the metal, this crystal growth
out onto the black sticky tape is something I have never seen before.
Something has caused a great deal of mobility of the metal particles or
ions on this sample for them to be able to follow a charge path out onto
the sticky tape.  This could well be due to creation of nanoparticles (too
small to be seen in the SEM image) on the surface of the metal in ME356's
processing of his fuel wire.  Perhaps these nanoparticles become mobile in
the presence of the current from the SEM and follow the fractal path of
conduction onto the surface of the sticky tape.

The thought of ME356's wire being covered with nanoparticles due to his
processing is a lot like Mizuno's description of what happens during his
vacuum sputtering treatment of his wire fuel.

There is only a small contrast afforded in the backscattered electron
detector (BSD) in the SEM due to elemental mass.  I don't see enough
contrast in the images to differentiate the elements.  It would be really
enlightening to have available EDS in his SEM.  The EDS is an x-ray
spectrometer that examines the spectrum of the x-rays coming from the place
where the electron beam is hitting.  The electron beam excites the
characteristic x-ray lines of the element and the element can be positively
identified.  It is perhaps the most valuable option that can be added to an
SEM, but I think ME356 presently does not have this in his SEM.

My guess is that the fractal crystal tracks are caused by mobile
nanoparticles of the same composition as the wire.