From: mix...@bigpond.com <mix...@bigpond.com>
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2018 10:42 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:The PP fusion reaction in LENR

Hi,
[snip]
>Russ <russ.geo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>Might you point to a reference where the mass of neutrons in deuterium vs.
>> other nuclides is said to be different.
>>

>I do not understand. Is the claim here that a neutron in deuterium is
>heavier or lighter than a neutron in some other element?

Yes (heavier), that's what I'm suggesting.

> There are
>different kinds or neutrons, or entering deuterium changes the mass?

The latter. The energy release from the nuclear reaction has to came from
somewhere. I am simply saying that it comes from the conversion of part of
the mass of the constituent particles.

>That seems extremely unlikely to me.

Then you need to explain where the fusion energy comes from. (I'm counting
addition of a neutron to a nucleus as a form of fusion).

Note that the formation of D from a free proton & a free neutron releases
only
2.2 MeV of energy whereas at the other extreme, addition of a neutron to a
Ni nucleus releases about 8 MeV of energy. Hence my conclusion that neutrons
in Ni have lower mass than those in D.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

local asymmetry = temporary success