Richard Garwin of the Jasons was brought in to evaluate the experiment. He
said there is a problem because it uses K-type thermocouples which are
susceptible to errors from exposure to hydrogen. Beiting pointed out three
problems with this hypothesis:

   1. The thermocouples were shielded.
   2. The damage only happens at ~600°C and these cells were run at 300°C.
   3. The damage causes the thermocouples to show a lower temperature. If
   would reduce the estimate of excess heat, not increase it.

Garwin is grasping at straws, trying to find an excuse to dismiss the
results. He said the first thing that popped into his head, which could not
have happened and would have had the opposite effect if it could. Soon
after cold fusion began, Garwin was called in to evaluate SRI. The gist of
his report was: "I could not find an error but I am sure something must be
wrong."