On a more personal note, Shephen. I agree, the brain can do some very strange things. Naturally, these are always explained using established physical laws, rather like the approach we experience with cold fusion. But as I get older and more educated about other possibilities, I find I have a self interest in learning what is in store for me after death. Religion provides no answers I can accept, being more confident in the scientific approach. I realize other people find great pleasure in believing what religion claims and would not welcome the possibility that the claims are all just imagination and self promotion. Nevertheless, I always hope there are a few people in the world who share my approach, but apparently not many.

Ed

Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:

Edmund Storms wrote:

Stephen, you are making a huge assumption when you say that past lives are not remembered.

True, it's a big one; it's based on the small amount I've read about brain science plus some major guesses.

So far, as we continue to learn more about brain function, everything seems to be explainable in terms of the actual physical brain structures. Simulating or mapping an entire human brain is still 'way beyond anything anyone can do at this time, but simpler brains have been mapped and simulated, and effects caused by the "ghost in the machine" haven't turned up. That /suggests/ that the stuff which a brain has learned, and which its owner can remember, does indeed come from interactions with the outside world, through the apparent physical pathways rather than through any alleged extraphysical path.

Supporting this view are impromptu studies of people whose interaction with the external world is limited. The most dramatic was the classic (and accidental) experiment on "H.M." (hope I got the initials right) in bilateral hippocampectomy which showed pretty conclusively -- and rather horribly -- that additions to your memory are mediated by the hippocampus and do require that physical structure to take place. Remove the physical switching center and further additions to memory are impossible. Sorry, I couldn't scare up a good link on this one just now. Summary, for those who haven't heard of this, based on my somewhat hazy memories from long ago when I first learned of this case: The patient, H.M., had some problem or other (seizures, depression, something someone thought could be cured using a knife) and had the bad luck to encounter a surgeon who speculated that a bilateral hippocampectomy was just the ticket to cure him. Well, as I got the story, the surgery did indeed cure the condition, but it also made it impossible for H.M. to learn anything new, ever again. From that day forward, every day he awoke was, to him, the day after the operation ... decades later, it was still the day after the operation for him. Lucky for him, he was optimistic about the surgery and awoke in good spirits afterwards, because he repeated the experience many, many times. His short term memory was more or less OK, by the way -- it was migration of memories from short term storage to long term storage that was blocked. (After a number of years had gone by, it was observed that H.M. became agitated upon looking in a mirror -- the aged face looking back at him wasn't at all what he expected to see.)

Anyhow what all this suggests to me, as I already said, is that the contents of our memory are based on the physical brain structures, with those structures being formed using a genetic blueprint overlaid with lots of "training"; I don't see a place for extraphysical memories to work their way in. But perhaps I'm just being too hard-headed (is that like being "solid-brained"?).

On the other hand, as an aside, it seems to me that a strong argument can be made on probabilistic grounds in favor of reincarnation -- but I won't go into that here, at least not just now. Ironically, if memory is truly physical, then we can never know if reincarnation is fact or just fantasy.

(And an interesting argument can be made, again purely on the basis of probability theory with some simple assumptions, that the end of the world is nigh -- and perhaps both arguments are correct, and that plus 3 bucks will get you a ride on a bus. Whatever. At least the end-of-the-world argument can [and will] be tested.)

I suggest you read the books by Dr. Ian Stevenson (MD). Prof. Stevenson spent his career at the University of Virginia investigating reincarnation using a scientific approach. Naturally, his extensive investigation has been largely ignored because, as you point out, it defies physical and conventional understanding. Nevertheless, evidence exists for past-life memories, especially in children. This life might not be a waste after all.

Thanks; I will take a look at it. If nothing else it has the potential to be more optimistic than the bulk of what I read these days, which sometimes leaves me feeling pretty bummed about the world.

Ed