-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

As the smoke cleared, [email protected] <[email protected]>
mounted the barricade and roared out:

> >Isn't there research on (tough!) materials which absorb hi-energy/
> >hi-intensity photons from across the relevant spektrum, directly into
> >their electron structures..?
>
> ...yes. Icosahedral borides have a "self-healing" property that makes
> them potentially usable in a sort of "solar cell" which derives it's
> power from ionizing radiation rather than sunlight (see e.g.
> http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6841456.html).

Ah yes, the amazing Boron...




> This would be an interesting approach, but I'm not sure how efficient
> it could be made.

I'm a firm believer in the human ability to find a way to accomplish
feats like developing (boron) compounds which can be tuned to any energy
level. 



> Of course, if it were part of a home power unit, then that might not be
> much of an issue, because any waste heat could be used for central
> heating &/or hot water supply &/or air-con (thermal refrigeration
> cycle).

I would think part of any future energy generation design would involve
catching whatever waste heat was left over for tasks as mundane as
central heating, etc. But in my mind I have the idea that even the
longest wavelength energy can be more efficiently captured than that.

I really don't believe that 100% efficiency -- or effectively so -- is
really an insurmountable issue for science at some future point in time.


- -- grok.






- -- 
Build the North America-wide General Strike.

TODO el poder a los consejos y las comunas.
TOUT le pouvoir aux conseils et communes.
ALL power to the councils and communes.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkn/iRQACgkQXo3EtEYbt3G9bACeOgX7bw0yomhaC6HiRE1uxnqu
tycAoLAothHA86a2ZXo2/IbpXLJ8hfOc
=8jEn
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Reply via email to