On 01/18/2011 12:03 AM, Harry Veeder wrote:
> Rossi also says that they  have had one reactor that has run
> continually for two years, providing heat  for a factory.

Slightly longer quote from the Peswiki page:

> Rossi also says that they have had one reactor that has run
> continually for two years, providing heat for a factory.  Also, the
> reactors can self sustain by turning off the input, but they prefer to
> have an input.

So if they need some electricity to control it, why don't they use the
output to run a generator, and close the loop?  At 10:1, they ought to
be able to turn the heat output into enough electricity to drive the
thing with a good bit left over.   Then they could provide heat /and/
run the lights in the factory.  And at that point they'd be off the
grid, and they'd be completely shut of the old "Well are you /sure/ it's
OU?" question.  And wouldn't /that/ make a whizzy demo!

Starting can be done with batteries, of course, just like you start your
car with a battery.  You need some electricity to run an ICE, but
/nobody/ plugs their gasoline car into the mains to get it going in the
morning (block heaters excepted).

"We don't close the loop because we /prefer/ to have an input."    That
seems strange, to put it mildly.

Kind of like saying, "I make all the electricity I need with
photoelectrics on the roof, but I /prefer/ to buy some from Ontario
Hydro as well."