On  Friday, March 04, 2011 9:55 AM Jones Beene wrote

>I wonder if a magnetic pulse, or a
pulse wave is involved in the operation.<

Jones,
I am now coming to this same conclusion, thermal transfer rates from 5 PLC
heaters spread throughout 1 liter of powder doesn't seem fast enough. If the
PWM were just accumulating an average temp over many cycles it would only
represent a fine temp control and not be turning the reaction on and off each
cycle as I think it needs to do to prevent runaway. The pulse wave, be it
mechanical, electrical or magnetic needs to push the gas very briefly over the
reaction threshold and then go away. As long as the average temp and cooling
loop are able to pull it back under the threshold before the next cycle you
have a valid control system. The energy originally required to bring the mass
up close to this threshold only has to be invested once because iterative PWM
cycles can take over this "housekeeping" chore and then progress to even higher
levels in lockstep with increased heat exchange.
Regards
Fran