Putting aside Rossi for moment, I guess this has to be Piantelli's secret.
Or one of his secrets. I do not think you are allowed to add red herrings to
patents. (That is, irrelevant information or false clues as to how to make
the thing work.)

I have read this several times. It seems to me that it means:

1. Take a sample of some ordinary nickel.

2. Choose any two isotopes, and enhance the quantity of them in your sample
by "a desired proportion."

I do not understand how such vague instructions can be considered sufficient
"teaching" to be worthy of a patent. Perhaps if you are an expert and you
read through the patent several times you could see what constitutes "a
desired proportion" but I regard that phraseology as a kind of mind game:
"see if you can figure out what I mean here!" I think the patent examiner
should have instructed them: "tell the reader what two isotopes you mean,
and what the desired proportion should be."