At 12:09 PM 6/19/2011, Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:
I won't argue this with you again, Jed, I had enough trouble getting you to admit that it's possible to have steam at higher than 100 C at 1 atmosphere of pressure.

Oh come now. Don't make false accusations. I admitted fully and frankly that I made a mistake there.

It's not a false accusation. Getting that admission was like pulling teeth, and even then it was a qualified admission.

Don't make me search the archives to prove it.

Okay, Stephen, he won't, perhaps. But I will. But, first, what are you trying to prove? Be specific, very specific. Let me give you a hint: if you are trying to prove your *story," i.e., "like pulling teeth," you are going to have, shall we say, some difficulty. That's not what happened, unless you have some teeth that were pulled. Even then, connecting the teeth you, or someone, lost, with what Rothwell wrote, could be difficult, eh?

"I had enough trouble" is a story about yourself, not about Rothwell. These are simple distinctions, and until you get them, you are going to get in lots of arguments like this, over completely useless stuff, that gain you nothing.

Are you aware, Stephen, that there is no clear contradiction between your statement and that of Jed? Yet it seems you think there is. I could parse this, but why don't you try to do it yourself, first, before you undertake that search of the archives. What's the actual issue here?

What I've seen from your comments is that you presented the issue in an incomplete manner. It is, indeed, "possible" to have steam at higher than 100 C, but under what conditions? Were those conditions relevant to those of the demonstration in question?

So if Jed answered within the confines of the experimental conditions, you could then "get him" with an error. Think about it.

Also think about how you find yourself responding to my comment. Do you find yourself imagining that I have a motive, perhaps to humiliate and embarrass you? I can tell you that my motive is the opposite, actually, but what is your instinct here? Authenticity matters.