  From: Horace Heffner
  To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
  Sent: Sunday, August 28, 2011 8:58 AM
  Subject: [Vo]:Corrections to "heat after death" calculations

  On Aug 27, 2011, at 12:51 PM, Joe Catania wrote:

    For the umpteenth time it is not an assertion. The thermal mass of the
reactor is about 1MJ (based on specific heat), the energy outflow is a mere
fraction (~1kW). OK?

    There has been no demonstration that output is higher than inout. Steam
quality is not measured, therma; inertia not accounted for. and there is
Rizzi's determination that flow is over estimated. I hope I don't have to
repeat these facts again. The source of heat in the 15 minutes is thermal
inertia since it would account for all steam produced. Cold fusion is not
indicated by what Levi has said. I have not seen the graphs you speak of and
I'm not sure they are coincident with cutting the power but thermal inertia
needs to be accounted for. So show me the data. And all I can say is one does
not assume cold fusion to prove cold fusion. CF proof is totally elusive by the
means exploited. Its more likely a flaw in technique of measurement. But if
there is proof of anomalous heat it has eluded my detection so far. The
properway to do the calorimetry is not with flow as I've detailed before.

    Levi said steam stopped after 15 minutes so it seems you need to get on the
same page.

  My two cents on this is it is a typical one of a kind anecdote - with no
solid measurements to back it up.  We don't really know if the device was
initially outputting 5000 W or just the input wattage, for example.

  For the sake of discussion, let's just assume the story is correct and the
device was outputting 5 kW as advertised.

  Let's also be generous with regard to mass, and assume it was equivalent to
20 kg of copper, and stored 1 MJ of energy as specified above.

  Using a heat capacity of copper, 0.385 J/(gm K),  a 20 kg mass requires

     delta T = (10^6 J)/((0.385 J/(gm °C))*(2*10^4 gm))  = 130 °C

  to store the 1 MJ thermal energy.  If we assume inlet temperature of 23°C
then this is an absolute temperature of 153°C.

  The thermal mass, Cth, is given by:

     Cth = (0.385 J/(gm °C)*(2*10^4 gm) = 7700 J/°C

  Assume the device transfers 5 kW of output heat when the internal temperature
is 153°C and inlet temperature is 23°C,  i.e. delta T is 130°C.  This gives a
thermal resistance of

     R = (130°C)/(5^10^3 W) = 2.6x10^-2 °C/W.

  The decay time constant, tau, for the 1 MJ thermal mass, C, is is given by:

     tau = R*Cth =  (2.6x10^-2 °C/W)*(7700 J/°C) = 200 s

  We now have the thermal decline curve:

     T(t)  = T0 * e^-(t/tau) = (153 °C) * 1/e^(t/tau)

  If we want steam to disappear at time t, then T(t) = 100°C.  So:

     (100°C) = (153 °C) * 1/e^(t/tau)

     (t/tau) = ln((153°C) /(100 °C)

     t = ln((153°C) /(100 °C)) * (200 s)

     t = 85 s

  So, if all is as assumed above (very unlikely!) the device should not be able
to output steam for 15 minutes, or even more than 2 minutes, unless a source of
heat was present after the power was cut off.  The problem is we just do not
have enough data to make the above calculation credibly.  This is not a new
kind of problem with regard to the E-Cat.

  Hopefully in any case the above example is useful to others for theorizing.

  We just have to wait until October to see what happens.   I hope for the
best.  I hope we don't see non-credible delays and moving target objectives as
we have seen before in similar situations.  I wish Rossi great success.   Even
the most minor technical success for Rossi would be one of the greatest
scientific breakthroughs ever, and have great importance for all mankind.
Rossi is not a young man. I hope he considers how limited his time on earth is
and makes the right decisions.

  Horace Heffner
  http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/