Horace, thanks for

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_diffusivity

It's useful to know that water has one of the lowest values -- so if
some of the water flow is stopped in some parts of the Fat Ecat, for
instance by being in some side chamber, bypassed by the main flow,
then it would be slow to come to an equilibrium heat flow, so, for
instance, doubling of the heat input from the electric heater resistor
would send a clear-cut heat pulse slowly across the thickness of the
immobile water, if it doesn't reach boiling temperature, which would
increase turbulent convective heat transfer -- such a heat pulse could
reach the thermister a certain time after the electric power cutoff --
the main point being: we can't assume much about this stunningly
complex system when we have no details about the design or
synchronized measures at many locations at once for hours of stable
operation.

You present calm, clear, extremely reasonable points to justify
qualified skepticism -- I suspect Jed is likely to agree within a few
days.

within mutual service,  Rich