Well, I did get an MA in psychology in 1967 -- decades ago, I read
about a Neuro Linguistic Programming gambit, to wit:

"Jed, please, above all else, do not just jump swiftly to a completely
skeptical appraisal of Rossi's demos..."

the strategy being to use supporting the partner in doing the opposite
of what one thinks is best, in order to plant in the same sentence the
suggestion that mentions what one thinks is best -- eeeee, it works,
too...

from my point of view, it can be helpful to offer a sibling some mild,
accepting, nonpushy outlines that highlight a possible breakthrough --
I've done this for Rossi several times for months, outlining the
possible benefits of publicly acknowledging his own path of folly --
in 1988, when I was losing my friends' investments as an amateur day
trader, a nice stranger took me for lunch, mildly inquired about what
I was doing, and after a while, he muttered something about the danger
of getting caught up in a Ponzi scheme, without requiring me to have
to respond -- it wasn't until 1994 that I was able to sell my house at
a 50% gain, and willingly pay back my many friends $ 70 K -- so I know
how it feels to evolve with the best of intentions step by step into a
hazardous blind alley in the maze of life -- this self-disclosure,
also, is a well-known mode for sharing healing ideas -- we are all one
another's keepers --  I am pleased to see these complex, confused,
polarized discussions going on for weeks and months with warmth and
humor and mild exasperation -- he who talks his walk has foot in the
mouth disease? --  perhaps you have some more reservations re my
sharings -- indeed, I'm all ears! --

"within mutual service" highlights the awesome actual intimacy within
which apparently highly individualized evolving aspects of single
entire unified creative hyperinfinity collaborate... richly, Rich