On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 11:24 PM, Jouni Valkonen <jounivalko...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Joshua Cude <joshua.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > They weighed it before the warm-up period.
> >

> But heating a brick eCat into 100°C takes about 20 MJ energy. And as there
> was additional heat loss due to poor insulation some 300-700 watts and also
> substantial water leak. These basic heat losses that never even got to the
> heat exchanger took some 27-37 MJ energy where as input was only 32 MJ.
> Therefore you need to find more clever solutions for an alleged fraud. In
> additional to that cool water inflow rate was at least 10 kg/h. Therefore
> it is true that there are high uncertainties, but most of the uncertainties
> point into direction that there was more heat produced, than what was
> observed. Reasonable estimation for total heat production was 100-180 MJ.
> There are indeed huge error margins, but not in the lower end.

I don't agree there is no uncertainty at the low end. Even for 10 kg/h
heated to boiling, and 300 W loss, that's still only 1.5 kW, which over 3.5
hours is about 20 MJ; less than the total energy input. And there is
probably some heat produced by chemical reactions between hydrogen and
nickel.

This device is 3 times heavier than the previous ecat, and produces 3 times
less claimed energy. Order of magnitude variations in power density seem a
little odd in a ready-for-market technology.

I think the point that it's possible to quibble about these numbers, and
that we even have to think about heat losses, is the real problem. The
claimed energy density is so dramatically higher than anything possible by
either chemical reactions or energy storage, that it should not be
unreasonable to   expect the output energy to exceed the total mass of the
device in chemical energy by a comfortable margin, but Rossi hardly exceeds
1 % of that.

It would be a little like someone claiming to be superhuman because he can
lift 1000 tons, but to demonstrate his superhumanness, lifts only a few
hundred pounds. When it's pointed out that ordinary humans can lift a few
hundred pounds, he says: not without training...