On Dec 9, 2011, at 9:16 AM, Jed Rothwell wrote:

Peter Heckert <peter.heck...@arcor.de> wrote:

I assume that under the surface of the insulation warm air can distribute.

Then you should please put some insulation over it, leaving some warm air. No more than 1 mm of air. Not ~1 cm.

I believe you are wrong about that. I tested for it, and found no such thing. Exposure to ambient air had an immediate, large effect. But making at "tent" with string, leaving about 1 mm all around, did not affect the measurement. When I say it did not affect it, I mean to within 0.1 deg C.

It did not even affect it when I ran cold water through the pipe under the tent.

Also there is not probably no trapped air in Rossi's system. Rossi wrapped the insulation tightly, as you see in the video.

I doubt there is a 0.1 mm gap between the TC and the metal. Again, because it was tightly wrapped.

- Jed

The air gap the thermocouple extends out into is large. It is a gap that is longitudinally between the nut and the manifold, and radially between the nut outer surface and the the pipe that extends between the nut and manifold. It can not be expected the insulation goes down into this gap - it is thus full of air, and exposed to an air temperature that is between the manifold surface temperature and the temperature of the nut surface.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/