Horace Heffner <hheff...@mtaonline.net> wrote:

> The air gap the thermocouple extends out into is large.  It is a gap that
> is longitudinally between the nut and the manifold, and radially between
> the nut outer surface . . .

I do not think so. The insulating material is flexible and fits tightly.
Also, the TC is against the flat surface of the nut, and probably it is
snugly covered on all sides.

HOWEVER, if you think this is a concern, we can test for it. We can make a
tent as large as you like, and see if it makes a measurable difference. The
string tent I made is probably bigger than anything in your description of
Rossi's setup. Also my string tent had a cold water pipe running through it
with lots of 16°C water flowing through, 1 cm away from the TC. That seems
more extreme than what you are proposing.

Heckert can also test for this with some insulation.