On Dec 9, 2011, at 9:40 AM, Jed Rothwell wrote:

Horace Heffner <hheff...@mtaonline.net> wrote:

The air gap the thermocouple extends out into is large. It is a gap that is longitudinally between the nut and the manifold, and radially between the nut outer surface . . .

I do not think so. The insulating material is flexible and fits tightly. Also, the TC is against the flat surface of the nut,

I don't think so. The wire is against the nut, but it is not clear the thermocouple tip is.

Here is another view of the thermocouple tip after the insulation was removed. You can see it extends out beyond the nut, even though the wire is bent upwards at the time of the photo.

http://lenr.qumbu.com/lenr_spicepics/111010_1C_crop.png

Here is photo of manifold with thermocouple removed. Air space is probably about 5 mm deep, 2 cm wide? Also threads prevent firm wide area contact.

http://lenr.qumbu.com/lenr_spicepics/111010_2_crop.jpg

Photos are from Alan Fletcher's site, the page with the nifty FEA simulations:

http://lenr.qumbu.com/rossi_ecat_oct11_spice.php

and probably it is snugly covered on all sides.

HOWEVER, if you think this is a concern, we can test for it. We can make a tent as large as you like, and see if it makes a measurable difference.

The problem is simulating the nature of the manifold, with its very high thermal conductivity and large contact area between hot and cold sides. Taping together two hoses does not do this.

The string tent I made is probably bigger than anything in your description of Rossi's setup. Also my string tent had a cold water pipe running through it with lots of 16°C water flowing through, 1 cm away from the TC. That seems more extreme than what you are proposing.

Heckert can also test for this with some insulation.

- Jed

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/