Horace Heffner <hheff...@mtaonline.net> wrote:

> I don't think so.  The wire is against the nut, but it is not clear the
> thermocouple tip is.

Why would he not ensure the tip is up against the flat surface? Wouldn't
you do that? I sure would.

But okay, let's assume it is protruding out. As you see in the video, the
insulating material is flexible tape. It will bend and cover over things.
So even if the TC is protruding out, the air pocket around it will be
small. Furthermore, even when you make a huge air pocket with a pipe and
you run water 34 deg C cooler than your target through it, that makes no
measurable difference. So I suggest:

1. You stop fretting about this.

OR

2. You propose some test that I or someone else can do to prove or disprove
your hypothesis. If you don't like my tent, what do you propose?

OR

3. Get a TC and try it yourself.

It should not be necessary to get an entire heat exchanger to test this one
hypothesis. The experiment should be simplified to include only the
specific details being tested such as whether an air pocket can affect TC
performance.

By the way, if the TC is protruding off the edge of that nut, I expect that
would bend the TC into an L shape. These are flexible wires not rods.